Introduction

Welcome to our blog! Follow us to see how our lives change throughout this fun and crazy time. We hope you enjoy the ride as much as we do!







Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mulberry-Cherry Crisp

Okay, so I know this blog is normally more about Clare than anything else, but for this post I thought I would switch it up a bit.  So a few weeks ago I came home to find this on my counter:


I wasn't even sure what they were at first, and I was super confused where they came from.  Apparently they were mulberries that Tony shook from the tree in our backyard.  It was news to me that we had a mulberry tree, but since they were there I wanted to try to make a dessert with them.  I found a recipe for blueberry-cherry crisp and decided that I would swap out the blueberries for mulberries and give it a shot.  So first pitted the cherries, cut them up, and tried to pull the stems out of all of the mulberries (not an easy task, and I wasn't successful at getting all of them).  I covered the bottom of the pan and prepared the crisp topping. 




One thing I didn't know about mulberries is just how bad they stain your fingers.  Even days after I made the crisp I still had purple fingernails.  So after the dessert was all done we had our friends over to enjoy it with us.  I fully intended on taking a picture of it once it came out of the oven, but we dug into it so quick I totally forgot.  But it must have been good because as you can see, we cleaned our bowls!  :)




Here's the recipe from http://www.cooks.com/ if you want to try it for yourself.  Good luck!

1/4 c. lowfat sour cream
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. brown sugar
2 c. fresh blueberries
2 c. pitted fresh sweet cherries
1/2 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter

Combine sour cream and brown sugar in bowl. Stir well. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Combine blueberries and cherries in 8 inch square baking pan.
Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar and butter. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberries and cherries. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Top with sour cream mixture and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment